Cold Weather Electrical Hazards to Avoid

Avoid these common electrical hazards while staying warm during the winter season.

  • December 01, 2016

More home fires occur during colder months than any other time of the year. You may want to help keep your home warm during colder months, but you should be aware of some of the potential electrical safety risks they may pose so you can ensure you operate them as safely as possible and minimize additional safety risks. 

Follow these tips to help ensure you avoid electrical fires, electrical shocks, injuries or death. 
 


tumblr_inline_nx9n6jxkvs1rmzke4_500

Electrical Blankets and Heating Pads 
Did you know electric blankets and heating pads cause almost 500 fires each year? According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, the majority of those fires were caused by electric blankets that were more than 10 years old. 

Experts say you should never fold your electric blankets or tuck them into other blankets while in use because it could overheat and cause a fire. Don’t place anything on top of a heating pad or electric blanket as this also increases the chances of overheating. Be sure to inspect the electric cords to look for cracks or frayed cords. 

Safety Recommendation: Consider staying warm with layers, warm jackets and sweaters or blankets. 
 


candles

Candles
Did you know December is the peak time of year for home candle fires?

Colder weather and the holiday season can prompt you to light candles around your home, but you should exercise caution and safety to ensure you don’t increase your risk for fires.

Be sure to never leave your candles unattended and make sure they’re not near any items that are highly flammable. 

Roughly one-third of home candle fires start in the bedroom, so you should also avoid placing candles in your bedroom or where you could fall asleep. The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day and Christmas Eve, according to the NFPA, so it’s important that you keep a close eye to candles lit around your home.

Safety Recommendation: Consider using battery-operated candles around your home.


shutterstock_559873

Generators
If you must connect to a generator for electricity, consult an electrician before you bring a generator home to determine the proper equipment and set up.

Every year, people die in portable generator-related incidents. The primary hazards to avoid when using a generator are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock, electrocution and fire. 

Follow the directions supplied with the generator. Never try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet, otherwise known as “backfeeding”. This is extremely dangerous and can electrocute utility workers and even neighbors.

Safety Recommendation: If you decide to wire a generator directly to your home, California state law mandates that you notify Southern California Edison. The only recommended method to connect a generator to house wiring is by having a qualified electrician install a power transfer switch, in compliance with national, state and local electrical codes. Find a licensed electrician to see if you can install the appropriate equipment. 


smoke alarm

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

A carbon monoxide detector can alert you and your loved ones if there’s a presence of a deadly, odorless, colorless gas in your home. Check the batteries in both of these life-saving devices. 
Make sure to test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to make sure they’re properly working.

Safety Recommendation: Check your batteries and change the batteries every six months.


electrical plugs

Don’t Overload Outlets
Plugging too many appliances into a single outlet or extension cord can cause them to overheat, which could start a fire. Be mindful of how many appliances you're connecting to an extension cord. 

Safety Recommendation: Never overload extension cords or wall sockets.

 

 

 


shutterstock_124111387

Space Heaters
Your space heater should be kept at least three feet away from anything that’s flammable, such as rugs, blankets or paper.

Safety Recommendation: Don’t leave your space heater unattended, and unplug it when not in use. Consider getting a space heater that has an automatic shut-off. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), placing a heater too close to upholstered furniture, clothing, a mattress or bedding was the leading factor contributing to fatal home fires and accounted for nearly 53% of home heating fires.  

Leave a Comment

We welcome your feedback and comments. We ask that you please keep them constructive, civil and respectful. If you wouldn’t say it in front of your mother, then there is a good chance it falls outside of our guidelines. Please read our comment policy here.

Comments

Edison Energy Group and its subsidiaries are not the same company as Southern California Edison, the utility, and they are not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission.

© 2017 Edison International

© 2017 Edison International

Download and Use Policy

This Site is owned by Edison International. Unless otherwise indicated, all of the content featured or displayed on this Site, including but not limited to, text, graphics, data, photographic images, moving images, sound, illustrations, computer code, trade marks and logos and the selection and arrangement thereof (referred to in this section as the "Content") is owned by Edison International, its licensors or its third-party image partners and all rights in relation to the Content are reserved. All Content is protected by copyright, trade dress, moral rights, trade mark rights and other laws relating to the protection of intellectual property. You may use the Content for your personal, or news-related, non-commercial use, but you may not otherwise reproduce, modify or in any way commercially exploit the Content.

Accept Decline